Optimize APM with IIoT and Analytics

By Ralph Rio

ARC Report Abstract

APM Designed to Improve Reliability

Asset performance management (APM) systems are designed to improve reliability and availability of physical assets in manufacturing plants and other industrial facilities. This typically involves collecting, visualizing, and analyzing asset health data for condition monitoring, predictive forecasting, asset integrity management, and reliability-centered maintenance (RCM). APM improves integration between production management (making the product) and asset management (ensuring the capability to produce).

APM Synchronizes Production and Maintenance apmralph.JPG

Data on failure patterns from four asset reliability studies show that only 18 percent of assets have an age-related failure pattern appropriate for preventive maintenance. The other 82 percent require predictive or prescriptive maintenance using Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)-enabled solutions with analytics to support the production and C-suite metrics.

Based on numerous interviews with end user companies, ARC Advisory Group summarizes that, currently, the predominant applications for IIoT solutions involve predictive maintenance. IIoT-enabled analytics are used to monitor the condition of a piece of equipment to support predictive maintenance. When incorporated within a comprehensive APM strategy, predictive maintenance helps prevent disruptive and costly unplanned downtime.

Table of Contents

  • Executive Overview

  • Asset Performance Management

  • Rapid Adoption of IIoT for APM

  • Impact of Industrial IoT

  • Application Development Path

  • Asset Management Case Stories

  • Recommendations



ARC Advisory Group clients can view the complete report at ARC Client Portal on New Client Portal or Office 365 or Box.com on this website.

If you would like to buy this report or obtain information about how to become a client, please Contact Us

Engage with ARC Advisory Group